September Garden Tasks
Summer's color gives way to the deeper hues of autumn's glory ... now is the time to start getting the garden prepared for the winter ahead, whilst still enjoying the lovely hues of the fall foliage.
- Transplant trees and shrub in the cooler weather and water once a week until
the end of season.
- Seed or sod a new lawn.
- Apply a fertilizer to lawn, use a slow release fertilizer to prevent leaching.
- Avoid fertilizing and pruning trees and shrub as this will only encourage new
growth which may not harden before winter.
- Harvest apples and pears.
- As the cooler weather approaches the growth of grass slows down. General
maintenance work can be done in this period.
- Falling leaves may be raked off the lawn.
- Check that autumn flowering
herbaceous plants are staked effectively.
- Divide and transplant daylilies and iris.