December Gardening Tasks
There's not a lot of garden tasks to perform in the winter. After the sugar-plum fairies and the Christmas season, this is the best time to let dreams grow for the summer garden to come! Still, there are a few ways you can ensure your garden doesn't receive any unwanted damage.
- Shake snow form small shrubs and trees after storms.
- The roots of container plants
may be protected from frost by wrapping the containers using burlap or
- Sharpen your tools, tune up your
equipment and buy new supplies.
- Prepare for the holiday by taking cuttings of evergreen branches for decorating.
- Any remaining leaves and worm casts can be raked and brushed off the lawn. This should only be done if the lawn
surface is not wet or frozen.
- The crowns of tender herbaceous plants can be protected from frost
damage with straw, or possibly leaves so long as they are dry.
- Check for your gardens for damage after storms.
- Order any seed catalogues you've been wanting to review and curl up with them and a lovely cup of tea on a cold, snowy evening.